OVERVIEW AND WORKSHOP DESCRIPTION
A widely-watched BUILD Institute video, which describes the promise of early childhood community systems building, asks the question: “What would happen if we all worked together on behalf of kids? Everyone!” But, as many collaborations know, working together as one and achieving results is easier said than done. And, governance is often the missing ingredient.
Please join us for the third workshop in our CS3 Governance Workshop Series, Preparing for and Reaching a Decision Point
Reaching strong decisions depends on careful preparation and capacity-building within your collaboration before you reach a decision point, the point in time when discussion ends and “voting” begins.
This workshop will address:
- The dynamics of participatory discussion and decision-making.
- The advance work necessary to minimize the number of “we should have thought of that” moments and maximize the chances that proposal will be received enthusiastically (and implemented) because members are invested.
- The importance of a transparent, predictable proposal development process so that members can raise concerns before the decision point is reached. (Proposal = what is being voted on.)
- The soft skills that promote consensus-building, including understanding conflict styles and both/and mindsets (instead of either/or).
- Practical steps to take when consensus-building falters or is not reached.
This workshop rests on the idea that collaboration cannot work, and strong decisions are not achieved when a collaboration’s meetings are not seen as a progression of smaller steps to reach strong, sustainable decisions, that support collaborative implementation.
- Registration is limited to 25 people. Registration is extremely limited so please only register if you absolutely plan to attend.
- If you did not attend the first Governance Workshop* (10.28.2020), please contact Kim Zalent (Kim.Zalent@gmail.com) before
- Read about the five-part CS3 Governance Workshop Series here.
* Attending Governance Workshop #1 is a prerequisite for the other workshops, but we can make some exceptions. Our goal is to ensure that all participants have critical baseline knowledge necessary to participate fully.
SAVE THE DATES FOR ADDITIONAL GOVERNANCE WORKSHOPS
- #4 Structure, Power-Sharing, & Roles/Responsibilities * Wednesday, March 10th – 9:00-Noon (Virtual)
- # 5 Legal Considerations *Spring, 2021